New Years Unresolutions

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The first week of January is a fun time to be a bike commuter. In particular, this first week of January has brought sunshine and above-zero temperatures, encouraging all the New Years Resolutioners to get down to Edworthy Park and try out Calgary's fabulous pathways. If they keep it up long enough, they might even learn about pathway etiquette. But they probably won't.

There's various statistics about the success rates New Years Resolutions, but they're all pretty depressing. All it really comes down to, I believe, is that it's hard to do something unless you really want to do it.

An example that comes to mind is reading. I love to read, and frequently I hear people say "oh, I don't have time to read, but I wish I did". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that's just not true. You have time; you just don't want to do it badly enough. If you're watching TV six hours a week, that time could be spent reading, but you'd rather watch TV. I have no problem with that, but I think it would be better to be honest and say "I would like to read, but I find TV more relaxing".

There are many, many things that I want to do, and that I feel guilty about not doing. These are the types of things that usually become New Year's Resolutions. To be honest, I don't even remember if I made resolutions last year, but this year I'd like to do something different. I'm going to write a list of things that I am not going to promise to do. I may still do them if that's what I really want, but I'm not going to feel guilty if they don't happen.

Charlotte's New Years Unresolutions

  • Climbing. This is the hardest one, as it's been a major part of my life in the past. However, I seem to have drifted more towards biking and running and skiing, so rather than feeling guilty about my forlorn pile of equipment, I'm just going to enjoy doing what I'm doing.
  • Drawing/writing/painting/music. I used to be into all sorts of creative stuff, but in the past few years I just haven't made time for it. These are not the types of things that should be forced, so I'm not even going to make any promises this year.
  • Android programming. I started messing around with it a bit a couple years ago, but never got much further than "Hello World". I've still got some ideas kicking around, but they'll happen when they happen.
  • Update this blog. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and since it's for my own enjoyment, it should happen whenever I feel like it.

And there you have it. A small list of items which I am thoroughly unresolved to do, or not do, as fancy suits. Does this mean I have no ambitions for 2012? Not at all, I've got plans a-plenty - just no life-changing "resolutions". Indeed, in 2012, I plan to:

  • "Compete" in the Cookie Race again (and maybe even beat a few middle-aged women!)
  • Go on a 6-week bike tour of New Zealand
  • Do the Wasa Lake Triathlon (Olympic, none of this crazy half-ironman stuff that my friends are planning!)
  • Do the Ride to Conquer Cancer
  • Have another great season in the Kensington Community Garden (and hopefully help improve the website)
  • Successfully complete my PhD Candidacy. That's a big one!

Thus concludes thoughts on 2012. Finally, since I think all blog posts should have a picture, here's an IKEA warning label for a hand mirror. Who knew they could be so dangerous?

1 comment:

  1. I love those warning illustrations... Petzl has the best, though!

    http://www.supertopo.com/photos/7/71/198576_5743_L.jpg

    ReplyDelete