Blog revival: Now with more quilts

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Hello, 2016. I think it's time to start blogging again.

Since I last wrote anything here (back when I was obsessed with transportation), a lot has happened. Ryan and I bought a house, adopted a dog and a cat, and got engaged. I also finished my PhD and got a new job, but most significantly, I bought a sewing machine.

I didn't really have quilting in mind when I decided to start sewing again, but then I added a collection of random fat quarters to my cart when I bought some supplies online. They became my first quilt:

My first quilt
I would probably never have chosen these fabrics, my seams don't match, and the final quilt is too small for any adult human, but I was oddly excited to cut up bits of fabric and put them back together again.

Since this first endeavour I've made a smattering of other quilts, a couple of bags, some dresses, and numerous other projects began but not completed. My list of things I want to make is growing out of hand, so I might as well add to the workload and blog about it. I also joined the Calgary Modern Quilt Guild and signed up for the Mighty Lucky Quilting Club a couple weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to sharing my quilting adventures with quilty friends.

There is one non-quilty Thing to Make that looms large, however: my wedding dress. I anticipate much of this blog, if I write anything at all, will be spent on the creation of my wedding dress.

The wedding dress plan

I have two dresses that I want to incorporate into my dress: my mum's and my grandmother's (known by me as Grandben). My great-grandmother's dress is also hanging in a closet somewhere in New England, but I'm not sure if I have the nerve to cut into it. In any case, these two are now in my possession:

My mum's dress - 1976
Grandben's dress - 1940-something
My mum's dress (handmade by her!) is made of a nice soft flowy silk that has more or less kept its colour and shape. Grandben's, on the other hand, has suffered somewhat over the years. I don't know what colour it was originally but it seems to have yellowed considerably and the tulle is full of holes. It's also made of a rather stiff and (dare I say) unpleasant feeling manufactured fabric. Given the age and the feel, I would guess that it's acetate. It also appears to have been stored in a trunk somewhere, though just a few months hanging has reduced many of the wrinkles seen above.

Two components I'm thinking of scrounging from Grandben's dress are the lace and the buttons. The lace is cotton and in quite good, if yellowed, condition. The buttons also seem to be in good shape, and there are many of them. I didn't bother doing the dress up, but here's a terrible backlit photo of the back of the dress that also shows the lace a bit more:

The many buttons of Grandben's dress
And that's about as far as I've gotten with the dress making. I also dragged Andrea out to David's Bridal to try things on to see what looks good, and I think she'll do a good job of making sure I don't end up with something too boring. Or too ridiculous, like this dress I made for high school grad:

My high school grad dress. I don't think this was ever stylish.

4 comments:

  1. The fabric of Nonor's dress may be too deteriorated to be of use (it IS a hundred years old)-- but it has hundreds of little tiny seed pearls on it. I can get it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember all the millions of strips of pearls! I'm not sure I have the time or patience to sew them on to my dress, but I think they would be nice in some kind of head piece.

      Delete
  2. Yay for a return to blogging!! And exciting wedding dress building :)

    ReplyDelete